Friday, December 6, 2019
Home Labour Brands 'Youth Contract' An 'Abject Failure' As Flagship Unemployment Scheme Ends...

Labour Brands ‘Youth Contract’ An ‘Abject Failure’ As Flagship Unemployment Scheme Ends Early

The Government’s £1 billion Youth Contract scheme is to end a month early after failing to help 94% of young unemployed people it originally targeted.

The scheme, launched in 2012, provided wage incentives to companies as a way of encouraging them to employ young people and was scheduled to continue until September this year.

However, the Financial Times has reported that the deadline for employer applications is to be brought forward a month to August.

At the launch of the scheme, Deputy Prime Minister Nick Clegg said that enough money would be made available to support businesses in employing 160,000 under 25’s on a six-month “job start”.

Despite the pledge from the Liberal Democrat leader, figures show that only around 10,000 young people had been helped into work through the scheme by November 2013. The figure represents just 6.25% of the 160,000 originally targeted by the Youth Contract scheme.

The Government argue that the low take-up was due to falling youth unemployment, which fell by 141,000 during the last year, according to official statistics.

A government spokesperson said:

“We now have record employment in this country, with the largest fall in youth unemployment since the 1980s.

“The Youth Contract has contributed to that by providing over 200,000 opportunities for young people, helping them to get the experience and training they need.

“As part of the Government’s long-term economic plan, we’ll be re-investing the wage incentive money in other projects targeted at those young people who face the biggest challenges to getting into work, so everyone can share in the growing economy and improving jobs market.”

Labour’s Shadow Work and Pensions Secretary, Rachel Reeves MP, said that with over 800,000 young people still looking for work, the Youth Contract had been as “abject failure”.

“Just two years after the launch of David Cameron’s flagship Youth Contract, the £1 billion programme is being abandoned by ministers”, Ms Reeves said.

“The Youth Contract has been an abject failure from start to finish. Ministers promised it would get every unemployed young person working or learning, but only a tiny fraction of Youth Contract employer wage incentives were ever used to get young people into work, and over 800,000 young people are still unemployed.

“The Government should introduce Labour’s Compulsory Jobs Guarantee to get young jobseekers off benefits and into work.”

 

Find out more: Yahoo! News

Newsletter

Subscribe Now! Get weekly news updates delivered straight to your email inbox and never miss out on the issues that matter most to you (BETA). Or follow us on social media.

16,700FansLike
9,399FollowersFollow

Trending Now

A homeless person dies every 19 hours in austerity Britain

Services are failing to protect homelessness people, say campaigners.

Cancer patient forced to rely on food banks says DWP needs to ‘wake up’ to the ‘cruelty’ of Universal Credit

A cancer patient says she has been forced to rely on food banks after being refused Universal Credit.

Jo Swinson ‘sorry’ for backing Tory benefit cuts

Liberal Democrat leader grilled on her voting record while in coalition government with the Tories.

DWP forced to admit more than 111,000 benefit deaths

Department has been forced to release updated Employment and Support Allowance mortality statistics.

Benefit payment dates over Christmas and New Year 2019-20

You may receive benefit payments early over Christmas and New Year. Check here to see if this applies to you and your family.

More News

One million UK children face a Christmas without warmth or fresh food, charity warns

Action for Children says child poverty levels are at the worst they can remember.

Jo Swinson ‘sorry’ for backing Tory benefit cuts

Liberal Democrat leader grilled on her voting record while in coalition government with the Tories.

Cancer patient forced to rely on food banks says DWP needs to ‘wake up’ to the ‘cruelty’ of Universal Credit

A cancer patient says she has been forced to rely on food banks after being refused Universal Credit.

A child becomes homeless in Britain every eight minutes, report reveals

Shelter calls on every political party to put housing at the top of its domestic agenda.

C4 Dispatches: 4 million children growing up hungry under Tories

SNP calls on the next UK government to reverse "brutal" austerity cuts and end the benefits freeze.

Newsletter

Get weekly news updates delivered straight to your inbox. Subscribe today!